Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Korean Culinary Caraousal: The Last Disgusting Thing

I've been in Korea for awhile now, and I find very few things completely revolting anymore.

LIST OF THINGS THAT SOME PEOPLE MIGHT FIND REVOLTING THAT ARE COMPLETELY NORMAL TO ME NOW
Soondae(순대)--Korean blood sausage


Odeng (오뎅)--Processed fish patties


Ojinga (오징어)--Dried squid, my favorite kind being the variety that is peanut butter flavored


Budae jjigae (부대찌개)--"Army" stew made of hot dogs, Spam, ramen, and kimchi


Hoe (회)--Korean style raw fish

My favorite being sannakji (산낙지), which is served live and wriggling


Gopjeong (곱창)--Stir fried cow intestines


Duelggae (들깨)--sesame leaves, which are hairy and taste overwhelmingly of mint, which are often used as wrappers for BBQ


Jokbal (족발)--pig's feet


Patbingsu (팥빙수)--shaved ice, ice cream, sweet red bean, and cornflakes all mixed up


I love all of the above things. But the weird thing is, I can't really imagine anymore why I ever thought they were weird.

HOWEVER
I was recently shocked out of my complacency with the food here by this thing:


EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
Called meonggae (멍게), it was severed to me recently at a very fancy restaurant, raw. It tasted like old seawater and had the texture of an oyster that had been sitting out in the sun for hours.

Though it was a traumatizing dining experience, it was good to be surprised/shocked by Korean food again^^

1 comment:

  1. 곱창 is one of Jong-min's weirder comfort foods. I went out for some with him after a shit day he had at work. Tasty enough, but the texture freaks me out.

    Also budae jjigae is never gross. Never ever!

    ReplyDelete