Sunday, November 21, 2010

Goodbye, Emsilly Teacher

I've never lived in any one place for more than six years, continuously. You would think this would mean that I'm awesome at making friends, and equally as skilled at getting over them when they leave me/I leave them.

No.

I've said it before, and Ill say it again: by far the suckiest aspect of living in the midst an expat community is that my foreign peeps are constantly coming and going. Not just any peeps, either, but often some of the most interesting friends I've ever met. Footloose twenty-somethings from all over, looking for adventure, recent college grads awash with anomie, travelers, people who have lived away from home--and I mean FAR away--for years, who are full of awesome stories and are quirky in the best way possible.

For me, Emily was my brain twin here in Korea. She was the person I would call when I needed to complain about some annoying cultural gender thing that was bothering me, and would listen and often exclaim OHMYGODIKNOWEXACTLYWHATYOUMEAN--a phrase which sounds so, so good over here YOU HAVE NO IDEA. Talking to her felt so much like talking to my friends back home--she is so curious about the people and the world around her, and pretty much lights up a room with her hilarity/bodacious blonde hair^^ She is so creative and intellectual and I know she is going to become an award winning film maker/psychologist/art therapist someday, and though I will miss her here, I know she aspires to be a lot more than an Engrishee teacher forever:





Though I am especially sad to see this one go, I have a very strong feeling that I will be seeing her again someday--either in New York or somewhere else in the world^^ SO I'M NOT SAD

No comments:

Post a Comment