Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Funny Thing That Happened to Me At/After Work: What Is It For?

Last week, I was faced with the somewhat befuddling "What Is It For?" lesson from the textbook. Coupled somewhat bizarrely with the "Nature and Weather" topic, the lesson featured a bunch of zany looking inventions (apple peelers, dog umbrellas, eyeglass wipers), which the kids were supposed to identify and explain the workings of.

I decided to adapt a lesson I had seen taught by another teacher using infomercials. First, I had the kids watch this one, which they were rightly fascinated by:



Then we watched this one, which made everyone giggle:



Then (after a tiny bit of lecture), I grouped up everyone and had them work in teams to design a commercial of their own. The stakes were high: the winning team got a box of Peppero (in honor of Peppero Day last week). I was shocked by how pumped these kids got about potentially winning a 700 won (60 cent) box of chocolate sticks, and the results were incredibly amazing and hilarious! Here are a few of my favorites:

Commercial product: Camera
When do you use it: Travel
Why do you use it: Want to remain some good pictures myself
How do you feel before you have the product: When I take a picture, I can't appear myself. Some sad and lonely.
How do you feel after you have the product: Self-timer function take a picture of myself. Add the self skill. I feel so awesome and nice and gorgeous!
3 words to describe our product: comfortable, happy, memories keeper myself
How much does it cost (before commercial): $850
How much does it cost (after commercial): $800
Are there any side effects: Erase all your pictures if wrong.
Where can you buy it: Phone number (his actual cell phone number)^^


Commercial product: Shoe lifts
When do you use it: I use it when I meet people.
Why do you use it: We need it to make our pride higher.
How do you feel before you have the product: My problem is that I am too short, so we feel inferior.
How do you feel after you have the product: Very satisfied. It makes us breathe higher atmosphere.
3 words to describe our product: pride, higher, popularity
How much does it cost (before commercial): $7.50
How much does it cost (after commercial): $5
Are there any side effects: Injure your ankle
Where can you buy it: E-Mart and G-Market


Commercial product: Digital cigarette
When do you use it: After eating
Why do you use it: To quit smoking.
How do you feel before you have the product: Bad for your lung.
How do you feel after you have the product: Good for your lung.
3 words to describe our product: healthy, convenient, cheap
How much does it cost (before commercial): 70,000 won
How much does it cost (after commercial): 56,800 won
Are there any side effects: Explode!
Where can you buy it: Internet, home shopping


Commercial product: Deodorant
When do you use it: Summer sweat under the arm
Why do you use it: Sweat under the arm and to remove the armpit fur
How do you feel before you have the product: My armpit have bad smell! I want to remove the armpit fur! I want to check you smell.
How do you feel after you have the product: It's so careful and fragrant. I have self confidence ^_^
3 words to describe our product: fragrant, careful, fresh
How much does it cost (before commercial): 10,000 won
How much does it cost (after commercial): 5,000 won
Are there any side effects: Too much and your skin may turn red
Where can you buy it: Supermarket and on the Internet


Commercial product: Shaking MP3
When do you use it: Whenever you want, running out battery, battery low
Why do you use it: Handy (careful), no need to bring USB to charge
How do you feel before you have the product: Very cumbersome to bringing the USB and you have to find the place to charge and it's not common
How do you feel after you have the product: 1) It helps you to burn arm fats 2) It draws attention to people 3) No need to bring your dragging USB and no need to find the place to charge!
3 words to describe our product: handy, ground breaker, hard to broken (bulletproof)
How much does it cost (before commercial): 300,000 won
How much does it cost (after commercial): 270,000 won
Are there any side effects: Keep away from the fire
Where can you buy it: E-Bay, Amazon, Auction


Commercial product: Mask
When do you use it: Always (except at night)
Why do you use it: Because face is always umm...sorry...MF (Monster Face)
How do you feel before you have the product: When I look the mirror I cry and cry...I have to spend much time making up T_T
How do you feel after you have the product: When I look in the mirror, I smile and smile...only cover with face, you don't need plastic surgery
3 words to describe our product: face-off, change, liar
How much does it cost (before commercial): $5000
How much does it cost (after commercial): $500
Are there any side effects: Nobody know you face!! Not even your mother!!!
Where can you buy it: Convenience store


So basically, my students are extremely smart and hilarious and I love them.

PS: If you ever want to feel extremely uncomfortable/burst into a fit of nervous giggles in front of a group of sixteen year old boys, show them this gem:

Now, whenever I see see any male 9th grader in the hall, they shout "Madeline Teacher! SHAKE WEIGHT!" at me, and I crack up like an idiot

No comments:

Post a Comment