Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Korean Culinary Carousal: Jackie's Kitchen

Last week my friend Diana and I met up to go eat dinner at Jackie's Kitchen, aka the Jackie Chan restaurant located in the colossal COEX mall in the ritzy Gangnam-gu area of southern Seoul.

I'll admit it: I'm kind of a sucker for celebrity-endorsed restaurants. Maybe it is because I find it hilarious that people with little/no culinary expertise often fancy themselves qualified to tell me what is delicious to eat^^

Last spring I went and ate at My Thai, the Thai restaurant opened by Korea's first openly gay actor, Hong Suk-Chun. He is smokin' hot and I see him on TV all of the time here:

He was one of TIMEasia's "Asian Heroes"

The restaurant is in a beautiful location in Itaewon and the food was delicious, but I was more excited by the fact that while we were on our way out, I actually saw Suk-Chun himself, standing outside of his other restaurant (next door to My Thai), My Chelsea. I wanted to talk to him (I know he speaks good English) but I was petrified. So I didn't.

More infamously, on one dark Oklahoman night back when I was in college, my friends and I drove up to Oklahoma City (from Tulsa, where I was going to school) to see a concert. The concert ended up being cancelled, and rather than turn around and immediately drive an hour and a half back to school, we decided to go take goofy pictures inside Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grill:

Unfortunately, Toby was not around. SO DISAPPOINTING; I'M SUCH A HUGE FAN

The restaurant was full of memorabilia from Toby's videos, items that will surely be precious treasures someday. Pictured: my friend Lauren with TOBY'S STUFF

Anyways.

Alas, Jackie Chan was nowhere to be seen at Jackie's Kitchen. Well, his face was everywhere:

SMILE OR JACKIE WILL KARATE CHOP YOU IN THE FACE

The menu is large, and features Hong Kong style Chinese rice/noodle dishes, along with an extensive dim sum (steamed dumplings) menu. We ordered sweet and sour chicken, spring rolls, and Chinese-style steamed buns:

It also came with a huge thing of white rice/picked seaweed salad

The rice/noodles dishes were on the expensive side--our small chicken dish cost 12,000 won and was one of the cheapest things on the menu. The dim sum, however, was much more reasonable at 3,000 to 4,000 won for three pieces or so, depending on what you ordered. I think if I were going to go back, I would just order the dim sum--the chicken was a little "meh". And even though the ambiance was fun, I'm pretty sure there are scores of other restaurants within the mall that have better food to offer. More importantly, JACKIE CHAN WASN'T THERE TO TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED TO CHRIS TUCKER AFTER RUSH HOUR 2; WHAT THE HELL

1 comment:

  1. I love dim sum! Promise you'll go back there with me sometime. I once went to a place owned by that dude with the hair from A Flock of Seagulls. But you totally win with Toby Keith!

    ReplyDelete