Friday, August 13, 2010

It's a Party in the U.S.A.

Some of the stuff I've been up to since I've been home in Colorado Springs, CO:
  • Crusin' in my '96 Cabrio with the top down. Fortunately for my fellow roadsters, taking a year off of driving hasn't affected my skillz much. Unfortunately for my fellow roadsters, said skillz were pretty limited to begin with. No accidents yet though
  • Catching up on all of the great music I missed over the past year. My new favorite song to blast in the car on my stereo:
  • Shopping. I have spent almost $300 on new shoes, clothes, underwear, and bras at my favorite thrift stores, Target, Old Navy, ect. WOO HOO, good 'ole Ameurican capitalism! I am also typing this on my new laptop....I am a proud new owner of a MacBook, after 23 years of PC madness/viruses/bloated software/general slowness. WOO HOO for user-friendliness! I am falling deeply in love with my new computer, and even now, I can't see myself ever going back to using a PC







And the delicious, famous homemade donuts at the top make it all the exertion worth it, as my father demonstrates here
  • Going to Elitch Gardens--an amusement park in Denver--and riding a bunch of roller coasters/splashing around the the water park there. I finally woman-ed up and did the "Edge" ride that I've always been too scared of:

It was awesome.
  • I've been eating and cooking up a storm. There are so many delicious vegetables and fruits in season here in Colorado: tomatoes, beets, watermelon, eggplant, sweet corn, zucchini, summer squash, raspberries, blackberries, bell peppers, and my personal favorite--peaches from Palisade, Colorado. My Mom and I love to cook, and I've made some pretty knock-out chow if I do say so myself--including gazpacho, charred eggplant curry, and some killer triple chocolate cookies.
  • I've visited with my maternal and paternal grandparents and caught up with a bevy of aunts and uncles.
  • I've spent of time with my cats, Gwendolen and Cecily (pictured below):

What a ham
  • I took an epic road trip with my dear friend Jordan, whom I went to college with. Jordan is also known as "Jordy Pordy": he is an actor and has been preforming his one man show across the country/globe for the past year or so, and invited me along for the ride to one of his shows in San Francisco. He picked me up in Colorado Springs, where I spent a day showing him around my adopted hometown. Then we blasted through Utah to Las Vegas for a night of buffoonery. The next day, we drove to San Francisco--Jordan preformed his one-man show at the Cystic Fibrosis Research Institute's annual retreat. It was a wonderful week spent with one of my most disgustingly talented/inspiring friends.
  • I went and saw Gunther von Hagen's "BodyWorlds" exhibit at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. The exhibit features real, plastinized human cadavers. It was truly awesome/admittedly a bit revolting.

Photo via the BBC

  • I got to hold a four-day old baby. My family friends, Brittany and Dwight, just adopted a beautiful baby girl named Libby Rose:
They are going to be the best parents
  • I went to New York for three days/two nights to apply for my new E-2 visa at the Korean consulate there. I got to traipse around Manhattan/Brooklyn, which was a ton of fun. More exciting, however, was that I got to spend time with two of my most interesting college buddies--Jennifer, whom is getting her Masters in music business at NYU, and Adam, who's going to school at CUNY Brooklyn. It was so much fun to wander around the city with them, and imagine what it might be like to live there someday...maybe.
From the Empire State Buiding

Central Park

Picasso at MoMA

Overall, I've had a great time since I've been home, and will miss my family/friends. BUT I'M SO EXCITED TO START TEACHING AGAIN, WOOOOOO

No comments:

Post a Comment