Friday, June 25, 2010

6/25/1950

Today is the 60th Anniversary of the start of the Korean War. I was shocked by how many of my students tried to talk with me about the anniversary--there was lots of mimed AK-47 shooting, complete with extremely loud mock-artillery sounds by many of my students. Clearly, it's an important date here with a lot of significance for Korean people, if it means my usually completely self-centered 6th grade students are aware of it.


I found this very lovely LIFE photo spread of Korean War photographs online, check it out here.

My Grandfather is a Korean War vet, and he was actually stationed in Uijeongbu 60 years ago. He never really talks much about the War--I'm sure he saw loads of really terrible stuff happening here. However, when I told him last year I was moving to Uijeongbu for a year, he said:"Uijeongbu! That place is a dump. A speed bump on the way to the DMZ!"

I would love for him to be here now, and see how much it has changed. The (South) Korean people should be so proud of how far their country has come, in such a short period of time, after such a terrible war...hopefully, things will change for North Koreans some day soon, too.

1 comment: