Friday, April 2, 2010

만우절! April Fool's Day

Yesterday was April Fool's Day, and I was surprised and delighted to find that most of my students knew what was up. I always figured April Fool's just a Western thing--not so. There's even a special Korean word for it--만우절, or as my students explained it to me, "Lie Day".

I celebrated by telling each one of my classes that they had thirty pages of homework. Yes, I recycled the same joke in every single class, and it was awesome. Little Korean jaws literally dropped in disbelief before I said "APRIL FOOLS!" and everyone laughed at me AND HOW HILARIOUS I AM. I'm pretty sure I remember my teachers in school pulling this crap, too, and I thought it was pretty stupid back then...THERE'S NO WAY MY STUDENTS THINK THAT WAY ABOUT ME, THOUGH.

Of course, my students attempted to "get" me, too. Two girls insisted on switching their English nicknames around, forcing me to call Wendy by Minjie and Minjie by Wendy for a class period. I also heard some pretty absurd lies, my favorites being "Teacher, I am 100 years old," "Teacher, I am from China!" and "Teacher, today my grandfather died." Hilarious...

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha my kids did it too--except they kept screaming "SPIDER" in the middle of class, haha. And I told my favorite class that I was leaving. And I told my other classes that they had to write Q/A like 20 times, haha. It was AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete