Monday, March 29, 2010

Korean Culinary Carousal, Part VI

Like most Hagwon teachers here in Korea, I work afternoons/nights, after most Korean kids get out of public school. Work starts at 1 pm and ends at 8:30--slightly wonky hours when it comes to eating/meals (read: the most important part of my day). I get a half-hour for lunch at 2:00, which I take pretty much without fail at the nearby Gimbap restaurant with the coworkers.

However, even the most gut-busting of late lunches (normally Gimbap, Donkasu (deep-fried pork cutlet), Naengmyeon (cold buckwheat noodles), or Jjigae) fails to stop me from being completely ravenous by the time classes end at 7:45. Thankfully, I spend the last hour of my day (on the days I don't teach middle school, UGH SIX CLASSES IN A ROW WITHOUT A BREAK) grading vocabulary tests, leaving me free to devour a delicious snack purchased from the Korean Snack Shack (not its official name, of course...but it should be) conveniently located on the street level of Swaton.


The snack shack is run by this adorable Korean lady and her husband. They are super smiley and friendly. Also, if I call from my classroom, they'll deliver an order of snacks directly to me/my students. Awesome.


My favorite snack, a cup of tteokbokki (떡볶이)--glutinous rice cakes covered in spicy red sauce. It is chewy and delicious. Other snack choices include corn dogs, kebab-like mystery meat sticks, Sundae (definitely not ice cream), Odeng, and various tempera-fried things. Everything is less than 1,000 won, and it all tastes delicious.


Close-up deliciosity, NOM NOM NOM

It's the perfect amount of food to hold you over until a more substantial dinner, and definitely something I enjoy devouring after shouting at children all day long.

1 comment:

  1. i love your blog!! is that wierd? i happened on it when i was researching korean eye lid surgery.
    im a korean american living in ny and i went to korea for the first time last year and i fell for it so hard. i can completely relate to your posts!
    i miss their extremely cheap street food. or their cheap food in general.

    ReplyDelete