Monday, March 1, 2010

Goodbye Katherine Teacher/Goals and Stuff




Katherine and I are big fans of this Asian Pose, called the Nyan Nyan or "cat girl" pose.


WAHHH WHO WILL I SING ABBA WITH NOW!?


Team Swaton.

This weekend was my dear friend/co-worker Katherine's last weekend in Korea. Thanks to Katherine, amongst other things, I now know the meaning/correct usage of the expression "in one's craw". I also know what RAM is, and have the appropriate media player installed on my computer, thanks to her computer savvy. She has been good for many a laugh, and I have appreciated having her around at work, as she was probably more (endearingly) spacey than Space Cadet Captain Rogers.

Watching Katherine prep to go home/leave has given me a lot to think about...I have five-ish months left at Swaton, and am thinking about what I want to do next year. I am officially TEFL certified, having completed my online course last week, which opens up many ESL jobs to me, if that is what I choose to do next year. I am looking at jobs in Vietnam and Thailand. I am also seriously considering applying to teach in Korean Public Schools--I love my life here, and would love to stay another year. My other option--use my mountain of cash that I have saved here to finance a move to New Orleans or New York or Seattle (maybe) and start subbing in public schools/working on my certification in those states. Being here has made me miss being a non-ESL English teacher...and I see myself teaching at home. Eventually.

As for long term goals...and this is really pie-in-the-sky here...but I'm thinking maybe the University of Cape Town for grad school in 2012 or 2013, for a Master's in Education (or Sociology or African Studies). This would also require a mountain of cash/GRE taking/more focus than I have at the moment, so we'll see how this pans out...but hey, I'm dreaming big...it's the American way ;)

2 comments:

  1. I MISS YOU GUYS I CRIED MYSELF TO SLEEP ON MONDAY NOT EVEN KIDDING


    WAAAAAAAAAAAH! ;____________:

    ReplyDelete