Monday, December 7, 2009

Pet Peeve #529

I hate it when people complain about being bored in Uijeongbu.

a) Only boring people get bored.
b) Don't blame your boredom on your locale. Anywhere can get boring.
c) WHAT AN INSIPID, UPPER-MIDDLE CLASS PROBLEM. KIDS ARE DYING IN AFRICA, FOR PETE'S SAKE

But who am I to know? I'm just a brat who's moved around too much and thinks she knows enough to write about herself in the third person.

And again, maybe I can't relate because of my spaciness. Which I feel allows me to escape so easily from any situation that might be construed as "boring"...

1 comment:

  1. Was this the topic at dinner at Maltese tonight? ;)

    This bugs me, too. "If you're bored, you're boring." Yeah, Seoul is a lot bigger and shinier and metropolitan than Uijeongbu, but there's still plenty to do here. I'm content just to walk around and people watch, or hit up a pool hall or jjimjilbang or a noraebang or a movie or try some random hole-in-the-wall restaurant or go on a photo safari or whatever. Plus, out here in the 'bu there's a sizeable foreigner community. There's always someone to ask over to see a movie or go to dinner with or just chill out. Imagine being in some further-flung podunk two-horse town and being completely isolated from any other English speaker (Engrishee doesn't count). No, we have it pretty good out here in the 'bu.

    ReplyDelete