- That I have a job at the tail end of the worst decade ever. A job that I like, a lot, because it enables me make an (albeit small) income doing what I love: traveling. While also simultaneously enabling me to experiment with teaching, which has the potential to become my life's pursuit.
- That I am debt-free, which I realize is a very rare claim to be made these days. I have met so many people over here who are up to their eyeballs in student loans...twenty-somethings starting their lives tens of thousands of dollars in debt...debt so prolific, they are not likely to come out of it until they are middle-aged.
- Which brings me to my parents. Simone and Mike. They are the reason I am debt-free. They have given me everything I have ever wanted, and encouraged me to follow every irrational folly I have ever had (going to school in OK, living in a trailer park/the forests of CO for a summer, Ghana, shot-in-hell job interviews in New Orleans and now, Korea). Fact: it's also increasingly rare to have extremely awesome parents.
- On a similar note, I'm thankful for my white middle class background, which gives me a social/fiscal one-up on pretty much everyone except white dudes/trust-fund babies/politicians/celebrities/CEO's.
- I'm thankful for my sister Charlotte, who I think was meant to be the more ambitious, more attractive first-born. I was cut out to be the baby and WILL CONTINUE TO LIVE AS IF I AM
- I'm thankful for the rest of my big-ass family. I was talking with Young Uhl the other day about my family: I have 23 Aunts and Uncles, 16 cousins, and 3 Grandparents to be thankful for (not to mention some pretty awesome extended family, too).
- I'm thankful for my old friends, most of whom have done a good job of keeping in touch with me whilest I've been over here. Miss you kids like crazy, though
- I'm thankful for my new friends here. In celebration of T-Day, a bunch of us Minlak-Dongers are renting a house about 1.5 hours away from here this weekend for some fishing/prolific eating, with a complete T-Day meal prepared by my buddy Bob...an ex-chef for Caribbean Cruises. YUMBO, no Tofurkey this year for me
- Finally, I'm thankful for my youth, my good health, and the freedom to do whatever I want to do with my life 'CAUSE I'M 22, DAMMIT
Thursday, November 26, 2009
Things I Am Thankful for This Year: